Wednesday, September 30, 2009

FREE FALLING!

Saturday, September 26, 2009
Sky Dive AZ
Eloy, Arizona


When I was younger I used to babysit a few girls from our church. One night we were looking at their family albums and I noticed a whole section full of Skydiving pictures and I asked them who had jumped. They said their parents. That night I asked Mr. and Mrs. Cromwell if they had jumped together and they told me, 'yes.' They were High School sweethearts and had both gotten certified and had jumped multiple times. The photos pictured groups in several different formations; needless-to-say, I was inspired. I told them I wanted to skydive sometime and Mr. Cromwell told me I should, he said it was amazing. I told him I would. He passed away a few years later and to this day I have always remembered I told him, 'I would.'

So, today was 'the day' to make good on my promise. He was always one of my greatest fans when I was a child. He encouraged me to record a tape of me singing and he promised he'd buy it. Haha. Some people never really know how much they inspire you.

Over a month ago, I walked into work and started talking about going skydiving. A few of the guys overheard me and asked me to let them know 'when' so they could go. Well, I didn't figure it would really come together - but here we were.
(John, Kristen's B-friend, Kristen, myself and Bill, pictured below is Ray)
I'm sure you can tell by the look on Bill's face that he was a little nervous.

Before this day, I had spent time in prayer about my crazy adventure and asked the Lord to help apply this to my spiritual life. You see, trust is not always an easy thing for many people, mainly me. Letting go and allowing someone else (God/others) to take total control is not something we, as humans, are often willing to do. So, I asked the Lord to help me trust the way I knew I had to when I jumped from that plane. I did not know the person I was jumping with nor did I know his experience, except that he was certified, and this only because I was told so. I didn't know anything about the pilot or who had packed the parachute, all I knew was that I was jumping out of a 'PERFECTLY GOOD AIRPLANE' into nothing but air and expecting a parachute to do its part when prompted to and then allowing a few thin strings to function in like manner. If this is not trust then I don't know what is.

I told the Lord I wanted to know what it felt like to 'let go' with no reservations, completely depending on something other than myself to guide me.
(Below: photographer and fellow skydiver beginning footage of my first dive. I will probably not have a future in show biz as I can't seem to keep my eyes open for even the first shot. And what's up with the hands on my hips... seems to be the only poise I know lately. haha.)

We climbed to 13,000 Ft. for the jump. Interestingly, I was not nervous the whole time. I just kept saying, "I guess it hasn't hit me yet." When we were in the plane, Kristen said, "Well, if it hasn't hit you by now, when will it?" Hmmm...

How's about NOW!!!
Standing at the edge of a plane with an open door 2 1/2 miles up in the sky... now certainly woulda' been a good time to 'hit me.' I saw my co-worker disappear before my eyes into an unforgiving abyss, then ... IT HIT ME!

Wow, I guess there's no going back now. =)
It seemed so surreal, the world seemed like a painting... nothing seemed real.

Now, it seemed real.


The photo below is probably my favorite of all of the photos because of the angle of the plane and how the image portrays a real sense of how we were falling.

The wind was hitting our faces at about 120 miles per hour.
It was really hard to breathe, this was really the only time I felt nervous... for less than half a minute. I was then able to get my breathing pattern and it was all fine from there.

As we were free falling he did several fast spins to the right and then to the left. So not only were we falling at 120 miles an hour we were also spinning part of the way down.

Smiling with 120 mile an hour winds in your face while gravity is summoning you down is no easy task.

What an exhilarating feeling.
Free falling!!
Totally free of any distractions.

When the chute deployed in the lower picture we had already fallen over 10,000+ ft. in approximately 55 seconds. This is approx. 200ft. per second.
Here you can see a hand on the lower right corner, this is my photographer/videographer who also jumped to catch the whole thing. This was somewhat surreal as well. In some of the other pics where I was looking up and smiling I was looking straight at him. He was pretty close to us, so seeing someone else flying that close also added to the experience.

When the chute deployed we shot back up into the air. In the video it looks like it jerks you up, but it was pretty smooth. This was also a great part of the experience.

Flying under the canopy after it had deployed was the most amazing thing ever.
Everything was so quiet and serene. There was nothing to distract you. We began to talk as if though we were sitting on a front porch, in a rocking chair and drinking lemonade... not a care in the world. Before we left I asked him if we would circle around so I could enjoy the views. Haha, well, he did, he tilted the parachute and spun, quickly one direction and then the other. He then spotted a hawk and asked me if I had a weak stomach. Hmm! So he loosened the chute for a short free-fall and then he again began to circle right and then left, then right, then left again. He said he wanted to catch the hawk. After a few of those great manuevers we were looking parallel at the hawk. Dustin, the instructor said, "Look at you girl, you're flying with the birds." Wow, what a fantastic experience.

It was as this point I asked him if the cameraman was still taping this and he said that he, "uh, is not supposed to do that kinda' stuff." Haha... good times!!

The landing was great!!

We survived and look at those smiles to prove it.
Well, except for Bill, he later admitted he was scared to death, uh... no pun intended. :)

Been there! Done that!
GOT THE T-Shirt!!

Hmm... 13000, uh... ???
Guess the T-shirt guy didn't like his job too much.
Error!
Haha, it's 13000 FEET.

:0)

My photographer did a great job. Wow, what a job... bet he doesn't mind going to work everyday. :)


Kristen and John pretending like they were still flying.

Hmmm?!?!

Feel free to visit the link to see the video of my jump. I've unfortunately been unable to upload my personal copy which includes some pre-flight prep/jump clips. Enjoy until I am able to upload the other.

http://funairvideos.com/ShowVideo.aspx?vid=QQs1MzXdmhA


This video is Kristen and I discussing the 'Most intense moment,' of our jump while at lunch.


I was so exhausted at the end of the day, I went home and took a nap. :)

When I awakened I was reminded of Ezekiel 47:3-5
(The vision of the holy waters)
3. And when the man that had the line in his hand went forth eastward, he measured a thousand cubits, and he brought me through the waters; the waters were to the ankles.
4. Again he measured a thousand, and brought me through the waters; the waters were to the knees. Again he measured a thousand, and brought me through; the waters were to the loins.
5. Afterward he measured a thousand; and it was a river that I could not pass over: for the waters were risen, waters to swim in, a river that could not be passed over.

When things seem to overwhelm us, do we draw back, do I? I want to live like this! I want to plunge myself into God's will without reservations, trusting that when God is in control ALL IS WELL!

Before the dive, someone asked me if I was nervous, I said, "no." They then said, "How come, you don't know who this guy is, you don't know if the parachute was packed right or if it's even going to open." (I think they were trying to encourage me, uh - not!)
I then replied, "You're right, I don't know! But I know they're professionals at what they do, so I guess I trust that they do their job well, so I have nothing to worry about."

After I jumped there was NO GOING BACK. I was in the hands of God, literally. I let go and from that moment on there was no turning back. I want to trust God this way. He is a professional at what He does, He made it, so He knows it. He made me and knows better what I need; despite the sense that I may be overwhelmed by the trials. I realized if I allow God's will, His Spirit, His Holiness to overwhelm me... I am in good hands. He will carry me, draw and take me to where is best for me and the experience will ALWAYS be a more amazing experience than any I could have ever had on my own.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That was so awesome! And what an incredible lesson about trusting God - and so true. One of these days.... =) Lori Owens

Anonymous said...

Wow! That was truly amazing! And the lesson on trusting God is so very true. One of these days! =) Lori Owens

Christine Brown said...

Wow! Amazing it looked like alot of fun. Makes me want to try it,lol. Hehe I guess maybe in my dreams tho cause I am afraid of heights.

Roseanna said...

love reading your blog. can't wait to see the next entry :)

Anonymous said...

Wow looks really cool !! : )
Alyssa